Shiva Puja – A Simple Guide for You to Please Shiva
The entire Hindu religion is based on three Gods, Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh. Brahma is the creator, Vishnu the operator and Mahesh (Shiva) the destroyer. Lord Shiva is believed to be very loving but short tempered.
Many gurus and mahatmas, worship Lord Shiva because he can be easily pleased and once happy grants you with his profound blessings.
How to do Shiva Puja
There are no hard and fast rules of worshipping Lord Shiva.
In fact you do not need to go to a temple to worship Lord Shiva every day, you just need a Shiva linga along with Shiva family for everyday worship.
Lord Shiva family consists of Goddess Parvati – Shiva’s wife, Lord Kartikeyan – elder son, Lord Ganesha – second son and Nandi – Shiva’s friend and ride.
Keep the statues facing East or North and completely avoid south facing.
- Start your Shiva Puja from Monday – it is considered Shiva’s favorite day of the week.
- Take a bath early in the morning and wear neat and clean clothes.
- Pour water, milk, curd, sugar, ghee, honey on the Shiva Linga and the Shiva family. In the end pour water again. (This process is known as abhishekham). Keep chanting Shiva mantra during abhishekham. (Mantras given below).
- Then apply sandalwood paste and offer flowers. Yellow, white and Datura flowers are Shivas favorite. Offer Bael tree leaves too.
- Offer food or sweets as Prasad.
- Light ghee lamp and chant Shiva aarti. (below mentioned).
- Consume the Prasad offered. This Prasad will bring peace and prosperity in your life.
- The water and other ingredients used in abhishekham should be consumed as Prasad or poured in Tulsi Plant. Remember not to throw the water in drainage.
Mantras for Shiva Puja
Some famous and effective Shiva Mantras are:
ॐ नमः शिवाय
Om Namah Shivaya
This is the most powerful and effective Shiva Mantra. This will help you clean your soul and protect you from any negativity.
ॐ नमो भगवते रुद्राय नमः
Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya Namah
Chant this to seek Lord Shiva’s help and blessing. By chanting this Mantra Lord will fulfill all your wishes.
ॐ तत्पुरुषाय विद्महे महादेवाय धीमहि तन्नो रुद्रः प्रचोदयात :
Om Tat Purushaya Vidmahe Mahadevaya Dhimahi Tanno Rudra Prachodayat
This Mantra is for achieving peace of mind and to please him for continuous protection and safety.
ॐ त्र्यम्बकम् यजामहे सुगन्धिम् पुष्टिवर्धनम्, उर्वारूकमिव बन्धनान् मृत्योर्मुक्षीय मा मृतात् ।
Om Trayambakam Yajamahe Sugandhim pustivardham, Urwarukmiv Bandhanaan Mrityormuksheey Ma Mritaat
This Mantra is for shiva Puja to please Shiva to escape the fear of death.
कर्पूरगौरं करुणावतारं संसारसारम् भुजगेन्द्रहारम् । सदावसन्तं हृदयारविन्दे भवं भवानीसहितं नमामि ॥
Karpur Gauram Karunavataram, Sansara Saram Bhujagendra Haram | Sada Vasantam Hridayaaravinde, Bhavam Bhavani Sahitam Namami
This mantra means “Who is pure white like camphor, an incarnation of compassion. Who is the essence of worldly existence.
Whose garland is the king of serpents. Who is always dwelling inside the lotus of the heart. I bow to Shiva and Shakti together.” This mantra is for inner peace and tranquility.
Most effective Shiva aarti:
जय शिव ओंकारा, प्रभु जय शिव ओंकारा। बरह्मा विष्णु सदाशिव अर्द्धांगी धारा॥
एकानन चतुरानन पच्चानन राजै । हंसासन गरुडासन, व्रुषवाहन साजै ॥ ॥ ॐ हर हर हर महादेव ॥
दोय भुज चार चतुर्भुज, दसभुज तें सोहै । तीनों रूप निरखता त्रिभुवन मन मोहै ॥ ॥ ॐ हर हर हर महादेव ॥
अक्षमाला बनमाला रूण्डमाला धारी। चन्दन मृगमद चन्दा, भोले शुभकारी ॥ ॥ ॐ हर हर हर महादेव ॥
श्वेताम्बर पीताम्बर बाघम्बर अंगे । सनकादिक प्रभुतादिक भूतादिक संगे ॥ ॥ ॐ हर हर हर महादेव ॥
करमद्ये च कमण्डलु चक्र त्रिशूल धर्ता । सुखकारी दुखहारी जगपालन कर्ता ॥ ॥ ॐ हर हर हर महादेव ॥
ब्रह्मा विष्णु सदाशिव, जानत अविवेका। प्रणवक्शर ॐ मद्ये, ये तीनों एका ॥ ॥ ॐ हर हर हर महादेव ॥
काशी में विश्वनाथ विराजे, नन्दो ब्रह्मचारी । नित उठ भोग लगावे, सेवत नर नारी ॥ ॥ ॐ हर हर हर महादेव ॥
त्रिगुण स्वामीजी की आरती, जो कोई नर गावै । कहत शिवानन्द स्वामी, मनवांछित फल पावै ॥ ॥ ॐ हर हर हर महादेव ॥
Benefits of Shiva Puja:
- For unmarried women, Shiva puja can be very beneficial to find right and wishful groom. Worship during Shravan month will be more fulfilling.
- Devotees of can see drastic change in their health and Lord Shiva protects them from deadly diseases.
- Shiva Puja and chanting Maha Mrituynjay Mantra can protect you from danger untimely death.
- According to Vedas, it can bring you close to salvation or moksha.
- Devotees who fast on Mondays and perform worship are blessed with loads of happiness and all pleasures of the world.
- A married woman, should fast on Monday and perform worship for a long life of her husband. This fast can also help in a happy and long marital life.
- Worshipping Lord Shiva can also eliminate negative effects of Shani Dosh.
- Devotees are blessed with spiritual bliss, physical and mental well being and also increase in will power and memory.
So, start chanting any of the above mentioned Mantras and praise the Lord. Har Har Mahadev!
Explore More Articles...